Sunday, January 5, 2014

Vietnam 2014 – Day -1 – Pre-trip wanderings

Immediately after finishing with exams I departed for points south, with the ultimate goal of spending Christmas with my parents in Monclova. Annie, on her side, is going to celebrate Christmas with her kids Kait, Katie, and Jake, and will join me in Albuquerque to celebrate the New Year.

The big departure this year was that I decided to drive. I must confess that I underestimated the distance, and should have really made the trip in four days rather than three. The trip itself was straightforward, without any major adventures, but while driving I listened to “A Long Walk to Freedom” by Nelson Mandela, and following the injunction of Little Tree’s Grandma I want to share a great discovery, so everybody else can share on the goodness.

I “read” the book on audio, read in full by a wonderful actor who had just the right amount of African accent to his English, and the ease of pronouncing African names, so I could easily forget I was listening to an actor rather than to Nelson Mandela himself. The fascinating story of his life unfolds in front of your eyes, and gives you an unforgettable 3-dimensional view of the life of this remarkable man. It is a big book, with 115 chapters, for indeed his walk to freedom was very, very long, but I do not hesitate to recommend it to all of you, as the best book I read in 2013.

Let me also take the opportunity of wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and to send my best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year!

No comments: