Sunday, July 23, 2023

Australia 2023. Day 20. Litchfield to Darwin - The last day

 

I wish I had a great story to tell about my last full day in Australia, but I don't :(

I woke up early and had my breakfast out in the courtyard, together with the different flocks of beautiful parrots that come take advantage of the free grain and fruit that the owner of the holiday park puts out for them.

Afterward I took to the road, where I am a nuisance to all other drivers because I go along at a sedate pace, passing many of the places I visited yesterday.

At about 11 am I reached The Cascades, and took a lazy walk through the plateau for a couple of kilometers, to reach a place where a creek tumbles through the horizontal layers of sandstone to create a series of steps (or cascades), each of which has created its own swimming hole. Very pretty and relaxing.

Once I approached the city, I made a stop at the Charles Darwin National Park, a very small protected area with many bike paths and distant looks at Darwin Bay. There are also many World War II bunkers, but by now I have heard enough of the war and I didn't explore them. On the way here I also drove past a couple of WWII air strips, which today look like abandoned streets.

Back in Darwin I drove slowly along the waterfront, once again getting the impression that this is a relaxation town, where visitors take time to walk to the shore and catch a movie at The Deckchair Cinema, or to take a ride in the Ferris Wheel.

I had an early dinner/late lunch at Hungry Jack's (Burger King under a different name) and finally made it to my hotel, to make my final preparations for tomorrow's flight to Jakarta. Since travel days are boring I think this will be the last entry of my Australia journal. I am not sure how robust my access to the internet will be in Indonesia, but I will try to stay in touch whenever I can.

Finis

No comments: