Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Italia 2023 (and Croatia). Day 22 - Ugljan Island

My visit to one of the Croatian islands worked so well a couple of days ago that I decided to repeat the experience. For little money I took the boat from Zadar to Ugljan Island at mid morning, arrived in the town of Preko, and promptly jumped into the bus to extreme north end of the island at Muline. I don't know I have much to say, except that I took a lovely walk along the shore, marveling at the clarity of the water. I am sure there are some attractive reefs all around the island, and very good snorkeling, although the water in the winter is too cold for Nemo and all his friends. Clearly this is a very important tourist destination, but the beaches are too stony for my liking. It was a lonely walk, but I was enchanted by the occasional spray of rosemary along the path.

Eventually I came back to Preko, which for a ghost town is pretty nice. Everywhere I see signs of infrastructure work to develop nice promenades and bike paths, and the boarded restaurants promise delicious seafood. I must confess that this has not been a gastronomic trip, because my denture has been giving me trouble, but I keep collecting good ideas for future dishes I will try once I get back home.

No comments: