Friday, June 9, 2023

Japan 2023. Day 1. Travel SFO-Honolulu-Tokyo-Sapporo

And so it begins! The first day is kind of boring because there is only so much adventure you can get by hopping from plane to plane to get from A to B. Dave delivered me at SFO shortly before 7 am, and by 7:30 am I was comfortably installed in the boarding area, waiting for my 8:30 am boarding with Hawaiian Airlines (HA). I took the opportunity to take a Power Nap. Unfortunately I got a middle seat, so the leg from SFO to Honolulu was not as comfortable as I would have liked. Also, HA has joined the cutthroat practices and wanted to charge me $4 for the earbuds (but I thwarted them by turning on the captioning in the movie, ha, ha). 

When we got to Honolulu (6 hours later) I was treated to outrageous prices for a sandwich that was billed as the Super Roast Beef sandwich, but ended being bread with a thin sheet of lettuce and a paper thin sheet of roast beef. $7, arghh!

We left Honolulu with a delay of one hour, but at least HA treated us to free earbuds, wine, and dinner (but I still got a middle seat). After 8 hours of flight we reached Tokyo, but by then I had missed my connection to Sapporo. JAL was on the ball, however, and had already booked me to a later flight. Still, I had my first encounter with Japan and its bureaucracy on less than ideal circumstances. By then was already 9 pm, and I didn't fancy having to go from Chitose Airport to Sapporo (50 km away; in Japan the newer airports are always a long way from the city they serve), so using Booking I got a local hotel, managed to take the train to the closest station (and then walk for an hour under the drizzle), and finally made it to a well-deserved bed and rest.

I need to get reacquainted with the amenities of Japanese hotels, which often include a sauna and a midnight snack, but all in due time.

No comments: