Friday, June 23, 2023

Japan 2023. Day 29. I gaze over the Sea of Japan

Today is going to be a long riding day, with about 6 hours of mixed highway and smaller roads. I am going to be following the shore of southern Honshu to the east, parallel to the Sea of Japan to the north. 

Since I have been avoiding large towns, these long treks give me the chance to look at many beautiful sights, including the rocky coastal cliffs, and green valleys dotted here and there with quaint rice paddies. 

I had lunch at an Italian restaurant, which is quite trippy. The salad was good, the little individual pizza was very thin and plain, and the pasta was out of this world! Spaghetti with a meat sauce and a very healthy serving of small mushrooms and very tender octopus. At some point I will have to falter and try some KFC.

My final destination was Hashidate Bay, where for a change I am staying at a large Western-style hotel (a special offer from Booking.com, but still twice as much as I have been paying so far). Tomorrow I will explore the bay, trying to stay away from the Kyoto urban area, which is less than 100 km away.

But now I get to enjoy my big room and soft bed. Ahhhh 

No comments: