Thursday, June 6, 2024

France 2024 – Days12 and 13 – Home in Bergerac

I spent the last couple of days working at home, with small escapades to bike around town and stop by the bank. I suffered a couple of setbacks over the last four days because my stupid banks, CitiBank and Bank of America, independently  decided to freeze my credit cards when some AuI (artificial un-intelligence) realized that I was charging things in France! It used to be that you told the bank when you were going to travel, but a few years back they let me know that was no longer necessary (probably because they got my travel info from Expedia). In any case, I had placed the info for both my credit cards in Apple Pay and something went wrong.

CitiBank, which is the most retarded of the two, asked me to call them to discuss, which I cannot do because my American cell phone doesn’t allow me to call from overseas. I went to their website, logged in, and got told that they were sending a double-authentication number to said cell phone that doesn’t work overseas! Fabiola finally got them on the phone, and by putting her two phones side by side allowed me to talk with a very clueless and unhelpful person, who after asking all sorts of security questions informed me that she was going to send yet another double-authentication number to the cell phone that doesn’t work overseas! I stopped her and told her that was not going to work. “Oh, do you have another cell phone number?” “No”, I said. “Well, how about your work phone number?” “OK, but I am not at work, I am in Europe.” “Do you have another work phone number, because the one you game me is not answering?” “That is because I am not there!” There was no way to break her from her script, so that credit card is now useless to me until I get back home in two months.

Two days later I get the same circus with Bank of America! Same stupid insistence that they were going to send a double-authentication number to the cell phone number they had on record. This time Faby was able to talk to them, and again acting as an intermediary (this time over WhatsApp because I had gone to the Post Office to see if I could call the bank collect – no luck because the Post Office stopped offering phone calls as a service over 10 years ago) managed to clear the concern of the bank and presumably that card is now unfrozen, although I am scared to use it lest it will trigger another “We have sent you a security code to your cell phone ending in 6555”.

It is fortunate that Fabiola is Super Woman and is persistent enough to set the record straight, but what are the thousands of tourists that are planning to come to the Olympic Games in Paris are going to do? I can see banks freezing credit cards left and right because of this double-authentication nonsense, and tourists getting turned away from hotels, restaurants, rental car agencies, train stations, airports, and Parc Asterix. If the US banks don’t get their act together it is going to be major chaos. My advise to those of you who are planning to travel this summer is to contact your banks and have them place a travel notice in your record. Don’t take “no” for an answer!

Outside of being mega-annoyed I actually had two good productive days writing my book and going shopping. I go shopping every day, but I am glad to report that by now I have stocked enough food and wine to survive a minor natural catastrophe. My dear friend Giulia is arriving tomorrow for a four-day visit, so I want to make sure I have what I need to be a good host. Giulia is a wonderful cook, so the bar is set pretty high; I have fixed pollo cacciatore for tomorrow, which is good because it will have a chance to “mature and blend the flavors” overnight. Tomorrow I will also go buy some fruit to have at hand, and tidy out my tiny house. Since I have a tiny European refrigerator we will have to buy the cool stuff, such as meat and cheese, on a daily basis, as well as go to la boulangerie every morning to buy a baguette and some croissants for breakfast.

And what shall we do in four days? She will arrive in the afternoon on Day 1, so I think after dinner we will go walk through the old town. On Day 2 I will suggest to go to Lascaux, la Thot, Rouffignac, and whatever more get on our way. Giulia likes hiking, so for Day 3 I would like for us to walk the loop Les Eyzies – La Micoque, which goes past some of the other famous pre-historic sites, and maybe end at Les Eyzies with a visit to their fabulous museum. Day 4 we might spend walking through Périgueux, but it really depends on the time at which she will have to get back on the road to reach Cogoleto (near Genoa in northern Italy), in time to be hostess to the young Ashby family.

No comments: