Tuesday, August 6, 2024

France 2024 - Day 67 Brantôme and preparations at Bergerac

I am trying to fill-in the gaps, so I took the first available bus and went back to the village of Brantôme, which I had seen on my way to Nontron, to check it out. It is a really cute village, which bills itself as "the Venice of the Périgord" because the old town is inside a tight meander loop of the Dronne river and, for safety, in the Middle Ages a canal was cut that made the old town an island. They have really embraced tourism as a money-maker, so there are parks for the kids to play, kayak rides around the old town, many cute restaurants, and an old abbey that has been taken by the town authorities as City Hall. Cute as it was, however, there was only so much to see, so after a couple of hours I took the bus back.

I needed to prepare for an absence of 5 days so it was time to take out the garbage, eat the last bits and pieces to keep a reasonably clean refrigerator (I have five different types of cheeses in different stages of consumption), pack a very basic survival backpack (at first I felt I could sleep à la belle étoile, but sanity prevailed and I booked some accommodations), and go to bed early for an early start.

No comments: