Sunday, September 30, 2018

Siberia 2018 - Day 12. Polowinnaja to Schumicha


This particular death march was not bad at all, partly because I have been consuming some of the supplies I carried on the third day, and partly because we were not in a hurry and I could take my sweet time covering the distance. I emphasized the later point by stopping every 2 km to rest my shoulders and read some of my book. I am reading Tom Clancy’s “Executive Orders”, a tome of 1,355 pages, out of which I have only read up to page 588.

Once I reached the small hamlet of Schumicha I entered another wrinkle in time, where there was not much to do besides having borscht for lunch, lazing under the sun, and despair about the lack of beer. I got tired of laying under the sun and went indoors, and in so doing I missed the most exciting event of the evening: A steam locomotive pulled into the tiny station (exciting), and disgorged a gaggle of Chinese tourists who spread all over the hamlet to take selfies of themselves against the background of flowers and wooden houses (very exciting). In the meantime, Christine led a raiding expedition of thirsty Germans on the assault of the train to purchase all of their beer supply (extremely exciting). The Chinese tourists left after half an hour, but our little refrigerator now hosts 20 half-liter cans of the finest Russian beer!

No comments: