Sunday, September 30, 2018

Siberia 2018 - Day 15. Seoul

I landed in Inchon International Airport, Terminal 1, at about 6 am, and a few minutes later I was in the train heading for downtown Seoul. It was a piece of cake to buy my ticket and keep track of the few stops until I got to the Central Train Station. From here on it was uncharted territory with only a couple of oversimplified maps to guide me. I should add that my backpack was booked all the way to San Francisco, so I could enjoy myself without being loaded like a burrito.

Right away I stumbled upon the elevated Pedestrian Causeway, which runs at the level of a two-story building for about a mile. It is very nicely landscaped, gives you great views of the busy city below, and you don’t have to contend with traffic. What a brilliant invention! My only regret is that it doesn’t extend all over the city, so all too soon I had to go back to being a morning pedestrian zig-zagging my way through traffic.

My plan was to take the hop-on hop-off touristic bus, which presumably had two different routes. The bus does not start running until 9 am, so when I arrived to the starting point at 8 am the place was deserted. Don’t this people know that some of us take our tourism seriously and like to start early to enjoy the fresh of the morning? So I waited, and then I had to regret not sleeping in the plane between Irkutsk and Seoul, as my eyes started to close. It was only a cat nap, however, so the tiredness stayed with me for the rest of the day.

The ticket sales window opened at 8:45 am, at which time I was informed that only route A was operating. Rats! So I climbed on the Route A bus, and reveled on the luxury of being driven through this exciting Asian city. We drove past the Modern Art Museum, the old, Victorian-era railroad station, the emperor’s palace, and through a jungle of skyscrapers. One that I like looks as if I giant had cleaved it with an enormous ax.

I stepped down from the bus to visit the Jongmyo Shrine, which has been designated as a World Heritage place. It is a very holy enclosed park, with many self-standing shrines of great beauty, but what impressed me most was the Spirit Way, which is a path made of granite blocks that connects all the shrines. Visitors are kindly directed not to walk on this path, which is reserved for the spirits. I, of course, was glad to oblige since I had no intention of interfere with Korean spirits (or spirits of any other nationality for that matter).

I was sorely tempted to get off the bus at the market place, which like all Asian markets was full of enticing pots and pans, hardware, food stuffs, and handcrafts. Alas, I had promised myself I would start on my way back at noon, and I could just see myself staying in the market for hours and missing my plane. Instead I enjoyed the full ride, and stayed on the bus for a second ride, just so that I could get down at the old railroad station, from which I only had a 10-minute walk to get to the new Central Rail Station.

I got to the airport in plenty of good time to have a bowl of noodles for lunch, and to take a complimentary hot shower (I love this airport!). By the time I was done I had but a short wait until we started boarding the plane that would bring me back to San Francisco and my “normal” life. It is sad when an adventure comes to an end (but there is always the thrill of starting to plan the next adventure!).

Finis

No comments: