Sunday, August 28, 2022

Day 25. Mexico 2022. Tecolutla to Tuxtepec

Not a very exciting day. I drove south down the stretch of the coast called Costa Esmeralda, which encompasses long stretches of beautiful beaches, and clusters of villas that can be rented and make a wonderful extended family vacation. Later the toll road followed the foot of the hills and bypassed Veracruz, and I finally entered the watershed of the Río Papaloapan.

Right away there was a change in topography to rolling hills and gentle slopes that are apparently perfect for sugar cane. It is very green, humid, and hot.

By mid-afternoon I reached Tuxtepec, which is the entrance to the upper Papaloapan and the infamous Valle Nacional. I spent the night in Tuxtepec, and at night I went for a drive around town. It is an OK town, but there is no magic to it. They have a Super Chedraui, a Sam’s, and some other department stores, but I couldn’t locate a downtown.


No comments: