Sunday, August 28, 2022

Day 54. Mexico 2022. My second day as a tourist

My second day as a tourist was OK, without being great. In the morning I went to the little Natural History museum that is a block from the hotel. They had some good displays, and a couple of good films, but there was a lot of writing and I soon lost interest.

After I left the museum, in a lethargic condition, I thought I should probably go back to the hotel and change into my swimming suit. But I was not energized and thought the boat ride probably didn’t involve swimming (bad mistake). I got to the pier and there was my boat, a catamaran without a sail Oh well, maybe a simple boat ride would not be too bad. Which was true until we stopped by another small beach and everybody, except me, went happily into the water. I used the time to take a nap, and now realize that I was dead tired. I think I have finally reached the point where the idea of going home is starting to seem very appealing.

I got re-energized in the late afternoon, when I got a call from Rosa María, the mother of Tathiana, asking me to come upstairs to the Café, to meet her husband, Gerardo. They are an interesting and fun family. Rosa María and my tocayo Gerardo are just a bit younger than I am, and in their young years both worked in the business end of the airline Mexicana (now defunct). As airline employees they had the option to take free rides as long as there were empty seats in the plane, and in this way they visited Europe and Canada, where they had all sorts of goofy adventures, so we sat there exchanging stories and laughing, while Tathiana was juggling three different cell phones and her laptop, in every aspect a businesswoman … until the conversation drifted unto the subject of books. She is an avid reader, so once again we had plenty of material to fill the happy hours of the early evening. We also remembered old songs, favorite movies, fun piňatas we have made, and anything else that comes from easy conversation among friends.

No comments: