Saturday, June 5, 2021

A Tale of the Mojave - The Covid Epilogue

The Covid Epilogue  

While we were having our adventures in the Mojave, Fabiolita stayed behind, at the frontline like a good veterinarian, making sure pets remain healthy and are able to provide the companionship that has been a lifeline in the times of Covid. She has been the source of worry for both DJ and myself, for everyday she gets exposed to new people who, although deeply in love with their pets, are not always Covid-conscious. Of course she follows safety protocols and always always wears a mask. 

 

When I arrived home from my adventures, on Saturday evening, I was delighted to get a message from Faby and DJ inviting me to a traditional Thanksgiving dinner the following afternoon, Sunday November 29. It was picture perfect, with a deep-fried turkey cooked to perfection by DJ, and the usual assortment of trimmings of oven-baked macaroni-and-cheese, cranberry sauce, stuffing with chopped turkey gizzards, gravy, a home-made pumpkin pie, and a steady flow of bubbly. It felt so good to be home with the family, and to thank the Good Lord for all the blessings we had received this crazy year (e.g., the France trip just before Covid exploded, Ronnie 6th year anniversary and the flight Opa gave him for a present, and a fabulous Mojave trip). 

 

That night Faby felt ill and took to her bed with a mild fever, and by the following morning she had to call in sick because she could barely get out of bed and her body was aching all over. The clinic went into panic mode (right now they only have two vets instead of their normal compliment of three) and sent her to get tested right away. That night the fever broke (just in time for Ronnie to develop a fever), and by the following morning (Tuesday December 1) Faby started on her way to recovery (she finally was cleared by her doctor to go back to work on December 9). Ronnie’s fever broke overnight, and the little bird was as chipper as ever the following morning. DJ is doomed! 

 

As soon as I heard Faby was not well I put myself under voluntary quarantine (starting Monday November 30) and started monitoring my temperature and oxygen levels. The following Saturday (December 5) went to get tested. Three days later I found I was positive, and sighed with relief thinking “Well, thank God that is over with.” I felt just fine, had not had a fever, and had healthy oxygen levels. But it is hard not to be a hypochondriac in the age of Covid, so everytime I took Phoebe out for a walk I had to stop and ask myself if I was short of breath. Every little cough seemed the harbinger of respiratory illness. 

 

It finally hit me. On Saturday December 12, at around noon, I felt tired and decided to take a nap on the couch. At least in a figurative way I was down for the count. No fever, mind you, but I was completely drained out of energy and my lower back was killing me. Over the next two and a half days I still dragged myself out of the couch twice a day to take Phoebe for a walk, but I had no interest in cooking or eating, and outside of morning showers and a bit puttering around the house I was aimless in my thoughts and actions. Dear Lord, is this what retirement feels like? 

 

And then, all of a sudden at noon of Tuesday December 15, I came back to life. I woke out of my 3-day nap with a start, feeling the need to stretch my legs with a long Phoebe walk and also feeling quite ravenous. I had some turkey soup in the fridge, and I gobbled it with gusto accompanied by long drafts of cool refreshing water. I was glad to be back in the world of the living, apparently without any serious after-Covid effects. 

 

But I was hasty when I declared no after effects. A good one was that when I weighed myself I was pleasantly surprised that I was 220 lbs, pretty much the same weight I was throughout my 40’s and 50’s. A bit brutal, but the Covid diet surely melts the pounds away. On the negative side I was in a pessimistic funk for a couple of days, shaking my head at the folly of youth in general and my students in particular. I am glad to say that gloomy spirit soon went away, and my regular positive personality was soon back on its feet. Finally, I was absolutely terrified when I sat down to enjoy a plate of enchiladas and found out that everything tasted like mashed potatoes without salt! And the nice Moscato I was having with dinner tasted like little more than sweetened water. Oh no, I am doomed! 

 

For a foodie like me, this was the cruelest blow I received in a particularly rough year. Barely a week short of Christmas Eve, the most delicious day of the year, and with a menu I have been agonizing over for a month or so, I am going to have to smile my way through an endless succession of dishes of mashed potatoes without salt! What is there for Christmas Eve dinner? A traditional central Mexico menu of Bacalao a la Vizcaina (dried and salted codfish cooked Bay of Biscay style, with onions, garlic, tomatoes, olives, and capers) with home-baked crusty bread (Fabiola’s department), followed by Revoltijo (a tasty mole dish with spinach and dried shrimp). DJ and Ronnie are in charge of appetizers and a pie. 

 

May your own Christmas celebration be blessed just like ours will be. 😊 

 

And may your Christmas feast be tasty! If it tastes like mashed potatoes you now know you are not alone  


I know this, too, shall pass. 

 

Merry Christmas! 

 

Horacio 

No comments: