Saturday, June 5, 2021

The Bahamas 2021 - Day 4. Where did everyone go?

Today I took a long drive from North Andros to Central Andros. I only have a very schematic map of the island, so my original plan to go first south and then west to the West Coast National Park was thwarted when the black top road ended abruptly and I was forced to go east instead, where there are some small settlements along the coast. Because of the extensive mangrove tidal flats, it is actually not easy to get to the shoreline. I succeeded in three or four spots, to invariably find a gorgeous beach, with shallow turquoise green water, and absolutely no one in sight. I feel I have been stranded in an uninhabited island. The extreme came when I arrived to a spot where there were several people cleaning the beach around three or four bungalows. I said hello to the boss, who told me they were expecting some guests the following day. I then went for a walk along the small cove, and when I came back 10 minutes later the place was completely abandoned. I felt I was immersed in an episode of The Twilight Zone.

On the way back I bought myself a bottle of a Bahamian rum, Ricardo, intent on at least having a Bahama Libre before I head back home.

Speaking of heading back home, I had to get yet another Covid test at the local Health Center, as mandated by my visa. It was negative so now I am cleared to go home. While at the clinic I met two American families and their kids, who had come to Andros because their families have vacation homes here. I mentioned that the place looks deserted, which they though was just fine because they enjoyed having their stretch of beach all for themselves.

After the test I went exploring in the northernmost tip of the island, and found an ocean blue hole where I want to go snorkeling tomorrow. Just like the inland blue holes, this is the roof of a cave that collapsed, but below sea level, so I think it will be a very nice place to get some snorkeling in deep water without being very far from the shore. An old timer who was fishing there told me that the best would be to come at low tide, around 12 noon tomorrow, because then the fresh water wells up forming a borbollón or fresh water fountain. I wouldn’t mind seeing something like that again (I believe we saw something like that in Yucatán, didn’t we?).

As you can see, it was not a very exciting day.

 

No comments: