Happy New Year everyone :)
To celebrate I am going to visit Jolene, Tom, Thomas, and Margarita in Antigua, Guatemala for a week. The day started as early as 1 am because I had to catch a 5 am flight in Sacramento, but I got lots of sleep on the leg to Houston, where I cooled my heels for a couple of hours before continuing to Guatemala City. I got there at 3:30 pm, and efficiently got a SIM card for the country and rented a small car. Unfortunately, I forgot my jacket at the Avis rental office, so maybe I will get chilly when we visit the mountains (the folks of Avis have kindly secured my jacket in the office and I will be able to collect it on my way back).
Antigua is probably 40 km from Guatemala City, but the trip there took me a good two hours on account of heavy traffic. It didn't help that Google Maps sent me in a couple of routes that ended in a cul-de-sac, so it was not until 7 pm that I got to the house of Jolene and Tom. I was a little frazzled and was very glad to see them. Thomas lives in the same house, in a separate apartment, so he was also there to welcome me. There was a nice bowl of soup waiting for me, so we did the catching up while I ate the yummy squash soup. Tomorrow is a day to explore the quaint small town, and then we will spend four days in a fieldtrip to the highlands. I am looking forward to it!
No comments:
Post a Comment