Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Italy 2026 - Day 12 - The lower Evançon

My plans for one more hike on the high country were thwarted by our shuttle system. The two valley routes run every day, but the connecting upper routes work only on the weekends. I only realized this when the upper bus did not show up at the connecting station, no one but me was waiting for the bus, and locals gave me a strange stare. Studying the posted schedule I discovered the note that stated the dates on which the service runs. I thus started walking down from the high hamlet where I was to make the connection, taking the time to look at the tiny clusters of ancient houses along the way. Antagnod was of particular interest because it has an old church and a well-tended cemetery around it, and also because it seemed to be the point of departure of energetic school groups to Mount Zerbion, which according to a sign would take two and a half hours (a piece of cake to a happy bunch of kids and their fearless teacher).

I chose the more sedate walk along the Torrente Evançon, upstream to Champoluc. For most of the walk I followed the partly shaded bank of the river, but at some point a farm blocked my progress and I had to follow a parallel track through the surrounding forest. It was cool and beautiful, but it was a long way down the valley and toward the end felt like I would never get there.

At the end I made it to Champoluc, and while I went to look for a cold beer I felt happy of having done just the right amount of daily exercise.

No comments: