Saturday, December 23, 2017

Day 0 – Norway 2017. Rush to the airport

As often happens when I want to go anywhere, the few hours leading to my departure for Norway were extremely busy and hectic. Faby and Ronnie were taking me to the airport, so my plan was to be at their house around 1 pm. But then Faby asked me to pickup Ronnie at the Child Development Center, and I misunderstood that she would join us at my house. Ronnie of course fell asleep on our way there, so I had to bring him in, put him on my bed, and let him recharge his batteries. When I got a text from Faby saying “voy” I went to wake him up and found he had had an accident. So I had to change him and the linens in bed, and then fix him lunch (a delicious left over turkey sandwich). But where is Faby? She clearly read my mind because a few seconds later I got another text “Where are you guys?” Aha, she was waiting for us at her house, so I packed kid and luggage and went there as soon as possible. Yet, by the time we got on our way was nearly 3 pm, and my flight was scheduled to depart from Oakland at 6:15 pm!


To complicate things it started raining quite hard (the first heavy rain of the 2017-2018 season), so Faby had to be extra careful driving. By the time we got to the Pleasanton BART station it was 4:05 pm, and after a very hurried goodbye I bolted for the metro. I made it with 5 seconds to spare, so by 4:13 pm I was on my way. At about 4:40 pm I arrived at the Oakland Stadium station, where I was planning on taking a shuttle to Oakland airport. Boy, was I surprised when I found out, miracle of miracles, that the bus had been replaced by an automated elevated shuttle, so I was entering the terminal at exactly 5 pm. In theory my flight was starting to board, so I was moved to the front of the check in line, and by 5:15 pm I was past security and running to my gate. Puff, puff. After all this excitement I found out that the flight was delayed, and the departure ended being at 7:30 pm.

No comments: