Saturday, December 23, 2017

Europe 2017 - Day 4. Paris to Sicily

It took me a good part of the day to hop from Paris to Lyon, then Lyon to Rome, and finally from Rome to Palermo, but at last here I am. All the flights were in small planes with Air France and Alitalia (Really? There are no big planes between Paris and Rome?), and short enough that neither airline had a chance to impress them with their service. But besides the multiple opportunities for something going amiss both me and my luggage arrived on the same place and at the same time.

Gustav was already waiting for me at the airport, and just across the street was the Alfa Romeo he had rented (oh boy, a fast Italian car in the hands of my very impatient friend). This island is of course much larger than I had thought, so we had a trip of a good 250 km ahead of us, into Catania. As we started on our way I couldn’t help but notice that the towering cliffs around the city were made out of limestone, and not volcanic rock as I had imagined. What is Etna volcano doing on top of a limestone island?

The drive through Palermo was pleasant enough. It is a big city that in many respect reminds me of the cities of northern Mexico. We just went through it, catching up with the news of family and friends, and in no time whatsoever were out in the countryside, which is hot and dry. Most of the mountains are covered by sparse golden grasses, but the valleys have enough moisture in them to support ripening fields of wheat (that delicious Italian pasta has to come from somewhere) and small orchards of olive trees.

As we approached the pass between the west (Palermo) and east (Catania) sides of the island we started looking for Etna. Where was it? We puzzled this question over a celebratory beer half in a small mountain village near the pass. Once we crossed to the east side of the island, green started dominating over yellow, and orange orchards became more abundant. It was hot and hazy and so it was not until we were just 40 km from Catania that we were able to see the dark mass of Mount Etna in the distance, like a vague monster looming over the city.

Gustav pointed to a tiny yellow speck high on the shoulders of Etna and said “That is where we are going.” What a crazy idea! So we bypassed the city and started climbing through narrow streets chocked with traffic, which were like a red cloth in front of an enraged bull to my impatient friend. He had choice words for all the slowpokes that insisted getting on our way until, with a satisfied growl he saw empty road ahead, and started road testing his Alfa Romeo in a winding mountain road, with me petrified at his side.

Eventually we made it to the lonely hotel high in the mountain, where the air was fresh and the view spectacular. I have to give it to Gustav: This time he chose a fantastic location! But first we had to do something about our parched throats, so we went to the bar where a few minutes later were joined by the other members of our party: my beloved Christine, and our long time friends Andrea and Frank. It was a happy reunion and the setting was spectacular. I went to the lower terrace, searching for a better view, when the father of a family that was approaching said in Italian: “Ah, but I know this gentleman!” Oh dear, who was he? Medium build, probably in his late 50’s, white spiky hair. “Sorry, but I don’t remember”, I said with some embarrassment. “I even have the same haircut I had then”. What? Did I know any Italian punks? “I am Boris”, and with that name came a flood of memories from 1987, when I was in Germany, and had met Boris as an undergraduate. Boy, what a surprise! (It was a carefully crafted surprised planned by Gustav, who when I suggested Sicily as a meeting point, had remembered that Boris lived here).


So, Boris was one of those young Geology students who seemed to know the details of every eruption that had happened in the last 100 years, and his driving ambition was to become a volcanologist. Common story, isn’t it? I would have recommended to him to forget about it, because nobody hires volcanologists, but he persisted and moved to Sicily after his undergraduate, volunteered at the Etna Volcano Observatory, eventually got his PhD at the University of Catania, and is know gainfully employed as a volcanologist in the Institute of Volcanology and Geophysics of Sicily. Talk about grit and determination!

No comments: