Saturday, December 23, 2017

Day 1 – Norway 2017. Oakland to London Gatwick to Oslo

I forgot to mention that a few days ago I had gotten the infamous flu vaccine, so of course a couple of days ago I came up with the flu L  So the long flight from Oakland to London Gatwick was pretty wretched, and when we landed in London, at midday, I was tired and grumpy. For a moment I thought I could spend the 5 hours of layover I had by making a quick dash to London, but I found that the city is 50 km away, and the trip there would take half hour in and half hour back. I have been in London before, so I gave it a pass and decided to enjoy the beautiful day my simply walking around the green areas that surround the airport. Yes, well, that took about one hour because there is not much you can walk before coming to a freeway, so I turned around and sat in the terminal nursing my cold.

Finally, after another delay we took off at 7 pm and two hours later I arrived at Oslo airport at 10 pm (Norway is one hour ahead of London). The immigration formalities were brief, and in perhaps half an hour I was out in the arrivals hall, planning my next step. First I got 5,000 Kronen out of the ATM (8.25 Kronen = US$ 1), and then stopped by the bus counter to see if there was a bus that could bring me close to my hotel. Yes, Bus 11 comes close, so I should go outside and ask the conductor to drop me off near the Central Station. It turns out that the conductor was a happy fellow who immediately identified my accent as being Latino, and after I confirmed his shrewd guess he switched to Spanish and proceeded to tell me how he was Peruvian, had been an officer in the Peruvian army, and had fled Peru as a political refugee when El Sendero Luminoso started targeting officers in their guerilla strikes. With the enjoyable conversation the 60 km between airport and city went by very rapidly, and my new friend even went out of his way to drop me off right on front of my hotel. Life was perfect!


Or not, because I spend a wretched night with my raging flu.

No comments: