Saturday, December 23, 2017

Europe 2017 - Day 1. Paris to Lille

I landed in Paris at 6 am, came out of the terminal by 7 am, and by 7:30 am was driving a rental Toyota out of the Charles De Gaulle airport. Unfortunately I screwed up coordinating with Geraldine and her family, who happen to be in Canada at this very moment. Since being in Paris alone is no fun, I had decided to drive a couple of hours north, to Lille, and spend these three days exploring the region.

As expected I was tired, and felt sweaty and stinky, so I had to stop half way to Lille to get a cup of coffee at a gas station by the autoroute. There I found a kiosk with information about the region and found out that Dunkerque (or Dunkirk) is less than an hour from Lille, and that they have a Maritime Museum. With my interest piqued by the movie I saw just a few days ago, on a whim I decided to keep going to check it out.

Dunkerque is a pretty port town, with a magnificent wide sandy beach, but has the sad distinction of being one of the first French cities occupied during World War II (June 1940), and one of the last to be liberated by the Allies (1945), by which time it had been bombed to rubble. Thus, the city I visited is comparatively new, although the port has been one of the main ports of France since the mid 1800’s.

You may remember that I “collect” visits to maritime museums, so I spent several happy hours going through the displays, which were very good. I learned that Dunkirque had started as a fishermen port, and that fishing boats would go from there all the way to Iceland to fish for cod. From there the port became important for the commerce of wool with England, and for the contraband of sugar, specialty foods, and wine. Lunch was at a nice restaurant by the water, and consisted on a huge bucket of steamed mussels and a tall beer. Maybe it was the ambiance, but I swear those were some of the best mussels I have ever had. I was seated by the water and was amazed at the fabulous variety of sea anemones floating in the crystal-clear water; unfortunately I was also under the rays of a blazing sun, so when I finally finished my meal I was panting.

After lunch I went back to the museum, to visit a a tall ship that was rescued from the scarp yard and is now a historical monument, and a.lighthouse ship. It turns out that this is the place where the Channel of la Mancha, between France and England, is at its narrowest point, so the tidal currents are very strong and have built a series of sand bars parallel to the coast. Any ship trying to reach Dunkirque would have to navigate a zig zag course through the bars, and many of them became stranded. Because the bars change positions, and are under water, there was no option of building regular lighthouse to indicate their positions. Instead, lighthouse ships were deployed on the shallowest bars, manned by crews that were rotated every 15 days. Being for two weeks in a ship that went nowhere must have been the most boring job in the world!


On the way back I got lost inside Lille! I blame it to the fact that I had no map of the town, but just a recollection of the map I had seen in the internet when I booked my hotel. So I knew roughly where it should be, but European streets take many turns, tiny neighborhoods spring out of nowhere, and the freeways have been designed by madmen. So I went round and round, waiting for my famous sixth sense to kick in, but to no avail. I finally asked a nice lady who had no idea of what I was looking for, but who identified the road I was looking for as the A-22 Freeway. “Just follow the signs for A-22”, she said with confidence. So I did, and found not one but two Hotel Ibis, both of them in areas I had driven past! The good news is that I have not lost my sense of orientation; the bad news is that I am becoming hard of hearing to the voice of said sense of orientation.

No comments: