Saturday, May 3, 2008

Day 81 – Taesch, Visp, Lousanne, soccer.

I spent the day getting down from the Alps, with walking stops in the towns of Täsch, Visp, and Lousanne. The latter is one of the big cities of French-speaking Switzerland, so I had my work cut out for me walking up and down the several hills where the city is built. Most impressive is the original building of the University of Lousanne, a vast chateau built in the 1700’s expressively to host the university. The building is now occupied by the university museums (geology, mineralogy, zoology, archeology, etc.) and the university library, and one could spend hours lost through its labyrinthine halls.

I got home to Route de Ferney at the same time as Auréle, who told me that the crowd was coming over to watch the soccer match between Liverpool and Chelsea (the semifinal of the Europe Cup, I think). Indeed, a little later Arto (top) and Alexis (bottom) showed up, and I got to




enjoy the excited French of true football fans (as you can see from the photos, fans throughout the world watch sports in exactly the same way :) Overall it was very "educational" and a great match to boot. The final score was Chelsea 3 and Liverpool 2, which will give you an idea that it was a great and very aggressive match.

But the best was yet to come!

No comments: