Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Australia 2019 – Day 20 – Cairns


Last night I fasted, and not necessarily out of religious conviction. When I had signed at the hotel, the clerk told me that, as a special treat, a special pizza outfit was coming to serve dinner. I looked at the small piece of paper she gave me, where the pizza times were listed as starting at 8:30 pm. A little late for me, but maybe Aussies like late dinner. So I did all that I had to do to return the van, and came back around 4 pm, in time to see the pizza wagon pull in. Afterwards I washed clothes, took a shower, watched some TV, read, and finally, roaring with hunger I went to look for a pizza at 8 pm (I was hoping that they would be ready to go since they had arrived since 4 pm). Big disappointment. They had already sold out, and were in the process of polishing every metallic surface. Bummer! I had misread the flier, the shing-ding had started at 5:30 pm and everybody in the hotel, sans moi, was happy with a belly full of delicious pizza. Unfortunately the hotel is in an industrial area close to the airport, so in spite of my late wanderings I didn’t find a single place to buy something to eat (Grumble, grumble!).

The following morning I had no problem catching my flight to Cairns, and by 10 am I was being driven by the airport shuttle along The Esplanade or coastal boardwalk. The temperature is perfect, the bay is beautiful (from the distance), and the city is the ultimate tourist trap. Reminds me of Ipanema in Rio de Janeiro, or Acapulco, where you have hotels, shops, and fancy restaurants galore, interrupted only by travel bureaus ready to sell continuous packages of fun to all the bright-eyed tourists. Lots and lots of Chinese tourists.

My hotel, Caravella Backpackers Resort, is not fancy but is on The Esplanade, and is the type of place that welcomes young people traveling on a budget. The desk clerk was super friendly and helpful, and had no problem with me checking way early. He also helped me book a second snorkeling cruise (I had already booked one from the US), so now I have four solid days of snorkeling in two 2-day trips separated by a day in Cairns. I am definitely going to like it here.

I was going to rent a car, but my second snorkeling cruise conflicts with those dates. I tried to change them and no cigar. There is not a single car to be had for rental in all of Cairns! So I am going to help them and cancel my reservation, and will play the basic tourist loafing in the swimming pool of the hotel, or booking additional day tours. I am going to take it easy.

No comments: