Sunday, August 25, 2019

Australia 2019 – Day 32 – PNG Day 5. Kimbe Bay


3 am. My gracious hostess, Tomatha, woke up particularly early to drive me to the airport. Where on the world do you get service like that? Lodge 9 in POM has my total and enthusiastic endorsement. Andrew and Tomatha can be reached at 7684-5039 or 7181-0566, lodge9png@gmail.com There is no better place in POM for the ecotourist!

My 5:30 am flight with Air Niugini went without a hitch, and by 7 am I was tightly wedged inside the PMV (the minibus) that makes the 1-hour run between the airport at Hoskins and Kimbe Bay. Imagine a 7-passenger van modified to carry 12 passengers, and then crammed with about 20 people and you will have a pale idea of what the trip was like. Take into account that half of the people were chewing betel nut and had to spit from time to time, and that two guys felt the need to share a cigarette in the full vehicle. I tell you, if you haven’t traveled in PMV you may not really know the meaning of adventure travel.

During the drive we crossed hectares and hectares of oil palms, a unique type of crop that I became acquainted with in Malaysia several years ago. They are bushy palm trees that instead of bunches of dates produce bunches of a very oily seed. The pods of seeds are harvested and pressed to produce palm oil, which is then cracked in a small refinery to produce diesel and motor oil. Some folks don’t like them because it is Malay investment and required the clearing of enormous areas of tropical rainforest.  

I finally alighted in Kimbe Bay, and was sorely disappointed by what I saw. In the “downtown” area there is an open stadium, and a green area around the police station. Outside of that there are warehouses everywhere, some of which have been dedicated to supermarkets, banks, or a mixed bag of office uses. I couldn’t even see the bay, because as I discovered later the water front is taken by commercial developments. I don’t know about this place.

I was walking past a long line of people who were waiting for the bank to open, when I saw a middle-age lady with a kind smile, and stopped to ask her for the office of the boat to Rabaul. She gave me directions, but it was clear to see that she was very concerned about me. “You must have a guide”, she said, casting her eyes around her for someone to enlist. I assured her that I would be fine and started walking. Five minutes later her young daughter caught up with me, to tell me that her mother was coming to accompany me. Dear Anita arrived a bit short of breath, but she told me I could not possibly go alone (mind you, it was 8 am, a time when all the bad people are still in bed). So, as many other people I have encountered we had a good chat, she showed me where the port office was located (that is when I found out that the ocean was hidden behind industrial developments), and insisted to walking me to the Kimbe Tours Guesthouse, where she finally deposited me in Julie’s hands. We took the obligatory selfie and my dear good Samaritan went back to her line at the bank.

The Kimbe Tours Guesthouse is, at PNGK 220, considerably more expensive than Lodge 9, but it has a beautiful garden that is an oasis of peace in the middle of this industrial city. The price does not include dinner, but there is a common kitchen that I am welcome to use. Contact them at 983-4886 (landline) or 7349-9698 (cell), or by email at kimbetoursreservations@gmail.com

At 9 am I went to the port office, and found that the boat to Rabaul does not depart until Saturday, five days from now. Forget that. I then went back to the warehouses to look for the booking office of PNG Air, where for less than US$ 300 I got a round trip to Rabaul, starting three days from now. OK, I figure I can explore today, try to go snorkeling tomorrow, and then take the PMV to the airport around 10 am on the third day.

There is not that much to explore really, but there are three active volcanoes within sight, including two stratocones and the Talasea caldera. All three had fumarole clouds rising into the air. Just to remind me that I am in active plate boundary we also had an earthquake around 6 pm, which was strong enough to knock out the power and convince me to go outdoors. Everyone around here was very excited and at least three of them came to check on their Mexican. They are really sweet in their concerns, but it can get a bit unnerving being followed everywhere by a guardian angel.   

No comments: