Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Australia 2019 – Day 25 – Reef Encounter at sea

OK, let’s give it one more try. I woke early, in order to be ready for the 6:30 am swim. It was barely getting light when we got ready, and I confess I stepped into the water with a sense of trepidation. And then, like magic, everything went as smooth and sweet as I have always known snorkeling to be. My hypothesis is that the swell was a bit too strong yesterday, so I got a few waves to break over me and flood my snorkel. No problems whatsoever today.

Seeing the sun rise over the reef, with your head submerged in the water, is a glorious spectacle. The different corals light up as instruments coming in into a symphony, and dull fish turn on into their brilliant day colors. I was particularly impressed by the staghorn corals, who look like a pile of deer and elk horns jumbled together; I had assumed they were an uninteresting bone color, but no. Only the abandoned parts are bone colored; the live portions are a vivid blue (these are the corals I mentioned appeared to have imploded to litter the reef floor with their pieces; I suspect they are fast growing but fragile corals that get easily thrashed during storms, only to provide a substrate in which other corals can grow).

During breakfast (very yummy) we moved to another part of Sexton reef, Twin Peaks, and I went for a second swim, which was just as good as the first one. I am now reconciled with the Great Barrier Reef.

Everyone in the staff has been great, but the greatest accolade must go to our chef, who last night served a delicious meal of slow roasted pork chops, and today prepared a fabulous plate of grilled fish, chips, tartar sauce, and a fancy quinoa and arugula salad. And he did this for 110 people, because we had our group and a new group overlapping.

I am now back in Cairns, and for the next couple of days will be turning my attention inland, into the rainforest.

No comments: