Sunday, August 25, 2019

Australia 2019 – Day 44 – Kakadu National Park


Nothing like a cruise down the East Alligator River to kick off the day. Our guide was a middle age Aborigine who laid down the wisdom of the ancients pretty heavily on us. His reasoning was “We are still here after 40,000 years, ergo we know what we are doing.” Fair enough, but the native Australians have the same problem that native Americans have, in that the allures of civilization, such as old trucks and alcohol, “distract” them from their simple, virtuous lives. In this case the native people of Kakadu National Park, which amount to about 15,000 people in an area of close to a million acres, keep producing babies but their numbers continue to steadily decrease. The native people are the formal owners of the land, which they lease to the government to use as a national park.

Anyway, our guide took us to see crocodiles, and once again I heard that “sweeties” are no big deal, and are even fun to swim with, but “salties” have a mean disposition and are really dangerous. A salty can sprint from complete repose to the speed of a horse in but a few seconds, which has caused more than one death among clueless tourists. As we approached a ford, where some people were fishing with water to their ankles, we saw a big croc come to check things out. Needless to say, the fishermen promptly decamped.

We heard a lot of interesting stories about the seasons, the legendary barramundi (a fish that grows to the size of a large salmon), the birds, the plants, and the connection of the people to the landscape. The native Australians remain largely hunter-gatherers, and I was particularly fascinated by a demo of the way they spear-fish. The curious thing is that they use the technique of the atlatl or spear-thrower, in which a piece of wood the length of the forearm is used to propel a light spear. Silly me when I thought this was a tool used only in Mesoamerica; rather, it seems to be a tool that was “invented” independently in Mesoamerica, in Australia, and probably also in Africa and Europe as well. I believe in Mesoamerica its use goes back to 3,000 years ago, and in Australia it is represented in pictographs that are dated at 1,000 years ago.

Having completed my tour, it was time for me to explore the park, which is famous for at least three things: A good portion of it gets inundated if the rainy season is intense, and thus merits the name of The Wetlands; this year the rainy season was weak, so it looks more like the Drylands, but once you know what to look for you can easily distinguish the areas that are commonly flooded.

The second claim to fame is a long cliff, 30 to 50 m high, of Proterozoic sandstones and sedimentary breccias. The sediments accumulated in short fluvial systems (hence the breccias and prismatic cross-bedding), with sand dunes forming in the flood plain (hence the laminations and festoon cross-bedding), and probably transitioning to a coastal lagoon environment (hence the ripple marks). The sandstones are quartz arenites, and the oligomictic breccias are dominated by fragments of milky quartz. I wonder if anyone has prospected them for placer gold? The angular nature of the fragments seems at odds with the lack of feldspars in both the breccias and sandstones, which makes me think on the Eocene of California, where wet and warm conditions led to deep weathering of feldspars. Keep in mind that this was the Proterozoic, 2 billion years ago, when there were no land plants to form soils or retain the products of weathering. Another peculiarity of these quartz sandstones, is that for some reason they seem to be good seeds of lightening, so in the monsoon season the thunderstorms are truly spectacular, with hundreds or even thousands of discharges per hour. Lightening often causes fires, which do not rage uncontrolled because of the accompanying heavy monsoon rains; a natural system of checks and balances on the periodic renewal of the vegetation and the ecosystem. Finally, there is the puzzle of the formation of the cliff itself, since it runs for a good 50 km. I will advance the hypothesis that it was formed as a coastal cliff, at a time of high stand in sea level; of course, I have zero evidence for this hypothesis since I haven’t seen any young marine deposits anywhere.

The third call to fame is the presence of lots and lots of pictographs, ranging from graffiti scratched thousands of years ago by hooligan teenagers, to sacred drawings which likely had significance only as part of a ceremony, not unlike the sand paintings of the Navajo (archaeologists infer this from the fact that some pictures are superimposed one on the other at particular places). It is really hard to interpret what the pictographs represent (now I understand the puzzlement look of my students when I draw a diagram): I was so proud of myself when I saw a hunter using an atlatl, when the explanatory board only stated that this particular pictograph was “new” at less than 1,000 years old! I also recognized kangaroos, and with some prompting from the explanatory boards was able to identify a crocodile, and several barramundi arranged side by side (was this the home of the fish monger?). A few of the pictographs have been identified by the native Australians as representing some of their legends (fables that ended in some gruesome outcomes for the wrongdoers) and creation stories. The latter take place in what they call The Dream Time, when rainbow serpent came down from the clouds to form the rivers, the floodplains, the animals, and the people.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Kakadu National Park, but realize I am getting a bit tired of being a gypsy, never knowing where I will spend the night next. I started on my way back to Darwin, thinking that maybe along the way I could find a quaint little hotel to spend the night. I did find a “colorful” motel in the town of Humpty Doo (no joke, that is the name of the town), attached to the “world famous” Wild Hog Tavern. It was a dump, and the crowd looked like hard-core drinkers (many of them sporting Wild Hog T-shirts), but when I learned that the fee was AUS$ 100 per night I rebelled against the absurdly high prices the tourist must pay for rather sub-standard lodging. So I went all the way back to Darwin, back to my backpackers lodging. I think I am about ready to go back home.  

No comments: