Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Australia 2019 – Day 4 – Grampians National Park


Today has been a geologic extravaganza, as I have tried to decipher the stratigraphy and structure of the Grampians. To assist me I went in about ten different (short) hikes in different portions of the park, and on every one of them thought that it would be great fun to teach Field Geology here.

The one interpretive geology board I saw was, in my not so humble opinion, completely wrong, assigning the rocks to the late Cretaceous. Ha! I saw a “winged” brachiopod in one of the outcrops, so I am pretty certain that these are Silurian rocks. To remind you, in Silurian time neither plants nor animals had colonized the land, so imagine a landscape of low-lying barren mountains where physical weathering dominated to release enormous volumes of sand into the streams, which braided their way down to the coast, where coastal lagoons and shallow marine sands hosted a teeming ensemble of brachiopods and trilobites. This is what the southern portion of Australia must have looked like 400 million years ago.

The Grampian sandstones were then deformed and intruded by red porphyries (which I happen to remember from my Historical Geology are Devonian in age). Silurian biologists would have spread fear among the first plant “sticks” venturing out unto the land by telling them about the impending dangers from global warming and the rise of sea level, but the sedimentary sequence appears regressive to me, with shallow marine bioturbated fine sandstones in the bottom, finely laminated coastal lagoon deposits in the middle, and cross-bedded fluvial conglomeratic sandstones on top. As for the structural deformation, all I can say is that it was pretty strong, so when you stand at any of the
vista points you can look at long cuestas dipping away from the crest of the mountains both to the west and to the east, which is why the whole mountain massif has a north-south elongation.

After making up the story told above, I was looking somewhere for a geology display in both the park or the visitors center. No luck. Everybody here is fascinated with the wildlife (and yes, I keep meeting wallabies and kangaroos, but so far have not seen any giant spiders), but there is no mention about the geology.

The park is a place of great beauty, where the rays of the sun and sudden intrusion of clouds make every valley a canvas of contrasts and color. The forest itself looks like the rendition of another world, worthy of the Martian forests imagined by Edgar Rice Burroughs. They are perfectly good forests, mind you, but when you look at them in detail you notice that there is bewildering variety of eucalyptus forms (big imposing trees, skinny ones with dense foliage, or lollipop ones with a bare trunk and a dollop of leaves on the very top), interspersed with innocent looking plants bristling with thorny leaves, or tufts of grass growing out of meter-tall pedestals. I need to also add the variety of brightly colored parrots, black-and-white magpies, and laughing kookaburras, which make a walk through the woods a musical experience.

I am now back at the campground, and the warmed pool is beckoning, so I think I will bring today’s reflection short. Cheers!   

No comments: