Sunday, August 25, 2019

Australia 2019 – Day 35 – PNG Day 8. Tavurvur Volcano


5:15 am, my ride is here. To break up the monotony of the trip I have booked a ride to Rabaul caldera and its ring-fracture volcanoes. My driver is completely crazy, and he barrels down the narrow street at 100 km/hr, as if we were in a competition. My two fellow explorers are two young American men that seem oblivious to the dangers of the road and have their noses stuck into their cell phones.

Rabaul is at the very end of the beautiful bay formed by the collapse of the roof of a shallow magma chamber, a caldera (I am calling it a caldera although I have not identified a large tuff or ignimbrite to justify this designation). The bay is closed on the seaside by three active ring-fracture volcanoes. Kokopó is on the land end of the mouth of the bay, outside of the caldera rim. Rabaul was the main city of the region until it was destroyed by the 1994 twin eruption of Tavurvur and Vulcan. It is not that close to either of the volcanoes, but the wind was blowing the wrong way, and tephra started accumulating on the roofs of the buildings. A few of the owners took proactive measures and started sweeping the tephra off the roofs, and their buildings survived; most others fled in panic, the tephra accumulated, and the roofs collapsed under its weight. A good 70% of the city was destroyed this way, and most of it has reverted to jungle. There has been some reconstruction, and Rabaul still works as a container port (in a very reduced scale) and as anchorage for Chinese and Philippino fishing boats that sell tuna to PNG.

We blasted past the town and eventually made it to the cluster of three volcanoes that most of us foreign geologists associate to ring-fracture volcanism along the north edge of the Rabaul caldera. From largest (and oldest) to smaller (and youngest): Kombiu, Takumau (aka Turangunan), and Tavurvur. The fourth ring-fracture volcano is across the bay and is called … Vulcan. Notable eruptions happened in 1937, 1979, 1994, and most recently in 2014. In 1937 there was a twin eruption of Kombiu and Vulcan, and in 1994 there was a twin eruption of Tavurvur and Vulcan (twin eruptions, within hours of each other, are very rare as far as I recall). The most recent one, in 2014, only involved Tavurvur, which is the one we were going to climb.

The climb was rough, because the eruption landed huge blocks of jagged basaltic andesite all over the flanks of the volcano, so the slope is steep and unstable. The basaltic andesite is almost aphyric, vesiculated, and in rare instances formed thin rinds of glass on typical bread-crust bombs. One thing that I had not seen before was a field of landing craters on one of the plains at the foot of the volcano. The plain was being covered with pumiceous tephra 1 to 2 cm in diameter, when the volcano started hurling enormous blobs of magma (car-size blobs) that landed like mortar bombs and created craters, in the middle of which the blob spread itself like a big cow patty (if cows were the size of buses and could fly …). Sometimes the patty cracked to form a jigsaw puzzle of small blocks, which the locals collect to form small piles on the edge of the bay, which are bought by the fishing boats for ballast, for PNGK 50 per pile. Finally, some of the giant blobs landed at a low angle, and after carving their craters bounced out of them! It is a beautiful example of what physical volcanologists do in their spare time.

My guide was a local kid, Edward, who, upon discovering I was a geologist, immediately answered that he too wanted to become a geologist and study volcanoes and rocks. Of course I was not going to let this opportunity for some mentoring go to waste, so I gave him my standard talk about geology as a science and geology as an applied engineering discipline. I told him that in PNG they needed good geologists to continue the mineral, oil, and gas exploration, for geothermal development, to manage their water resources, and to work together with civil engineers. He was quite enthusiastic at the many prospects, and told me he wanted to go to Australia to study. He is still in high school, so I told him to work hard on his math, physics, chemistry, and English. All this time we were climbing and laughing, and I kept telling him about the rocks and the landforms. Once we came down he stopped for a second and told me with admiration: “This is the first time I speak with a white person, and it happened to be a geologist!” Since the kid was about 18 years old I take his comment as meaning the first time he has had a meaningful conversation with a white man. I was honored.

Huffing and puffing I made it to the top, and right in front of my eyes I could see The Gates of Hell. The crater, which previous to the 2014 eruption had been a mere bowl filled with “sand”, was now a jagged inferno where big fumaroles of steam and H2S escaped with a hiss and a rotten egg smell. Big patches were coated with yellow elemental sulfur, and the rocks had been oxidized to blood red.

My adventure partners had brought a drone, which they used to film the steaming crater from every possible angle and elevation. I think they got the basic footage for the next B movie of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, and then some.

We were back in town by 9:30 am, which was a bit disappointing. For the PNGK 315 I paid for the tour (worth every penny just for the experience of seeing the crater and its fumaroles), I was hoping we would spend most of the day out there. I am afraid of getting bored here at the hostel. I have now planned on taking a PMV to Rabaul, and spending one of my empty days just walking around and saying hello to the people. Kokopó and Rabaul are completely safe, and people are not pushing any merchandise or services upon you.

Prior to midday I went down to the beach, and had the opportunity to regret how much trash was strewn on the beach and floating in the water. I promise I will stop bickering about not getting a free plastic bag at the shop, but I suspect that what is truly needed here are properly built and operated sanitary landfills. Trash is dumped in any convenient swell, and is not compacted or buried, so of course it disperses as litter. For the sake of cleaner oceans, next time there is a beach cleanup in California please invite me to come along and help.

No comments: