Sunday, August 25, 2019

Australia 2019 – Day 47 – Sydney, Day 2


My hotel is the coolest hotel ever! It is a backpackers’ place called Space Q Capsule, where the dorms have space capsules instead of bunk beds. Direct out of Star Wars, the capsules open with a swipe of the card, and glow in the dark with a soft blue light. The capsule itself is maybe 10 ft long, 5 ft wide, and 5 ft tall, so it is quite roomy and comfortable. The command center allows you to plug your iPhone and listen to music, adjust the air conditioning, and sweep close the door of the capsule. Everything is space-age clean and comfortable (I am going to guess it is quite a new remodel, or otherwise they do a great job at keeping it clean, functional, and space-age modern!).

I was out in the street by 8 am, intent on visiting first the fish market and then the Australian Maritime Museum. I had not problem finding the right streets, but it was a good walk and I didn’t make it to the fish market until 8:45 am. In very Aussie style the market was advertised as the biggest in Asia, but no, it is OK, but nothing compared to the fish market in Tokyo, or even the Pike Street Market in Seattle. Still, there were all sorts of trucks loading fish for distribution in the city, and there was a nice touristy area with huge displays of fish, crabs, lobsters, and shell fish, and with nice eating areas. For me it was a bit early for fish, but there were some hardy souls already having a sushi breakfast. DJ would have loved to see the enormous blue crabs and king crabs!

Another brisk walk brought me to the maritime museum, which in my mind I had made the unofficial high point of my visit to Sydney. I have a thing about maritime museums, having visited very fine ones from Tierra del Fuego to Norway. On approach I saw that they had the typical collection of historical vessels, including a cutter and a “tall” ship with one of her masts stepped down. It was a funny, fat vessel, and it was clearly being worked on. As I mentioned the top of her foremast had been disassembled, and there were a couple of sailors working on the rigging of her main mast and her mizzen mast. On approaching her I was finally able to read her name: HMB Endeavour. What? It could not possibly be the Endeavour, James Cook’s first command? It wasn’t and it was. The original Endeavour was captured during the American war of independence, and sunk off the coast of Rhode Island in 1778, but in 1990 the Australian Maritime Museum undertook the construction of the replica that now stood before me. The bark was a collier used to transport coal (hence her stubby shape) prior to the time when the Royal Navy bought it to send it to the South Pacific, under the command of Lieutenant James Cook, in 1769. How I would have liked to go on board!

I stepped into the museum, as eager as a kid, and gladly paid the AUS$ 32 entrance fee, only to find out that most of the museum was free, and what I had just paid for was to visit the warships and submarine that are part of the collection. Rats! The museum was pretty good, although not the best I have seen, and I completely skipped the section on naval warfare, which Australians seem to have such a liking for. I had a lot of sightseeing to complete, so I decided to go take a last look to the Endeavour before moving on. Surprise! The Endeavour was open to visitors, and my paid fee entitled me to step aboard. Oh, it was such a thrill. Man, once on board and in a deck covered with all sorts of rope, capstan, four gigantic anchors, and a rudder bar that swept most of the after deck there hardly seem to be enough place for its complement of 100 sailors, 12 marines, three officers, the four scientific gentlemen, and its master and commander. Below deck was the living space of all these people, mostly in a space that was at best 5 ft high; the only way to be there for any length of time was to crouch, sit down, or lay down. The officers fared a bit better (but not much), and the great cabin felt like the most luxurious space ever. It turns out they had opened the bark to visitors because on this particular day there were a bunch of school groups visiting the museum, and of course they wanted for them to see the jewel of the collection. And then I heard something that interested me greatly: HMB Endeavour sails for several months of the year, to visit foreign ports or to accommodate for school visits around Australia; needless to say I have signed up for the 2020 season, volunteering (and paying for the privilege) to be part of the crew to sail her from Sydney to Cairns in summer 2020! How cool would that be?

The last part of my hop-on hop-off tour visited the east part of the city, which is mostly residential and absolutely beautiful. With looks of the Pacific to the east, and of the many bays that form Sydney Harbor to the west, this part of town is the place to live. The houses are grandiose and sell for millions of dollars, and I can see that retiring here would be mighty fine. One of the highlights of the eastern tour is Bondi Beach, which apparently is world famous among surfers, and rubs elbows with famous beaches such as Waikiki or Santa Cruz. It even has its own TV show, highlighting the excellent work done by its beach rescue team. Unfortunately in winter it is cold and windy, so besides us crazy tourists there were only a couple of even crazier surfers (my guess is that they were foreigners that just had to check surfing Bondi in their bucket lists).

I wrapped the afternoon by going to visit the Opera House, although I was not able to get inside. There were an insane number of tourists, with Chinese dominating the ranks, so it was hard not to be in someone else’s shot, or to take a picture without having a tourist making rabbit ears with her fingers at you. It is a beautiful structure with a myriad angles to it, and I have no doubt it is one of the most photographed buildings on the planet.

I walked all the way back to my hotel, and almost there I took a right when I should have taken a left, and found myself in the middle of Chinatown. Good, I think I will have a dozen barbecued duck wings for dinner.    

No comments: