Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Australia 2019 – Day 8 – Kosciuszko National Park North


Last night the thermometer dropped to -5 ⁰C! I was ready for glacial temperatures, however, and slept toasty warm inside my sleeping bag and covered by my excellent comforter. Getting out of bed, however, was a completely different proposition. I simply could not face another shower in a frigid bathhouse, so today I will have to make my explorations au jus.

My plan to day is to cut a path across the Kosciuszko National Park North. The park was apparently established after the Snowy Mountains Scheme was authorized, and I suspect it was motivated to guarantee good watershed management. Like national parks in Europe, the ones here are meant to set aside land for multiple beneficial uses, the way national forests are managed in the US. Of course recreational and environmental uses have high priority, but forest management and limited agriculture and animal husbandry are included in the mix.

I left Cooma, headed to Adaminaby and Lake Eucumbene, which is the big buffer reservoir of the whole hydrologic scheme. The road trip was a bit disappointing, just as if I was traversing the low foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Lots of pasture and a few valley oaks eucalypti, with a few granite boulders sticking out of the dry grass instead of the metamorphic tombstones we are used to in California. Once I got to the lake I got a completely different memory intruding into my thoughts. I could imagine I was in the shores of the Lago de Guadalupe, north of Mexico City, where the eucalypti offer little shade (did you now that as a clever adaptation to hot weather the leaves of many eucalyptus species rotate to become parallel to the incoming sun rays, so the trees offer little shade?) and the lake water looks like coffee and milk because of high turbidity. I was under-impressed.

But from Adaminaby to Talbingo, which is the national park proper, the situation was quite different. It may not be a spectacular forest, but it is green and heavily vegetated, and now and then you come to impressive canyons. This part of the trip is also a practical course in necromarsupiology (ha, how is that for a word you all mammalologists of the world!). In other words, you see lots of road kill kangaroos, wallabies, and wombats (and a few emu youngsters, but those are not marsupials). Wombats are rodents, but they look just like you imagine a Christmas pig should look like, except that they are furry. I am sure every Australian kid has had a wombat stuffed toy, just like our kids have teddy bears. Wombats, which are fat and furry, are very efficient diggers, so their marsupial pouch has evolved to point backwards, so the wombat fetus can be nice and warm in mama’s pouch, free of flying dirt, as she digs her burrow.

Talbingo is the ultimate cute Australian holiday town, which means it is quite modern looking. The houses look like the modernist stage of say Palm Springs (meaning 1950’s and 1960’s), set in the middle of carefully manicured lawns. Near the town is the Blowering Reservoir, which is another of the big reservoirs of the hydrologic scheme. Hmm … the water looks really low, just like it was in Lake Eucumbene. That got me thinking that the snow season, which generally goes from late May to early November is kind of late coming (mind you, I am not asking for snow right now, because I am definitely not prepared for it). Australia had low precipitation from 2013 to 2016, and 2017 and 2018 were nothing to write home about, so I am sure the folks from Snowy Hydro are lighting candles to their favorite saints.

I had scheduled four days to visit the Snowy Mountains, but I think I am ready to move on. Maybe I should consider spending a day in Canberra before heading for the Blue Ridge.

No comments: