Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Australia 2019 – Day 27 – Cape Tribulation


Another fine day in Queensland, which I used to travel north along the coast. I had bought myself a set excursion, which happened to be with the same driver I had yesterday. I am beginning to feel home here in Cairns. We ended driving about 170 km north on the Captain Cook Highway, and on the way there we had but a couple of stops. Big in the hope list was a sighting of a cassowary (the one I saw before at the beginning of my trip was an emu), a ruffled dragon, and an echidna. Alas, we saw none of these very shy animals. The good news is that in order to look for them we stopped for a couple of nice walks through the sub-tropical rainforest. I was able to recognize a couple of cycads (often confused with palms, even though the two genus are unrelated), which are living fossils that dominated the Permian and Triassic forests. Some living cycads can be up to 1,000 years old. Now I have a complete set of Gondwana-representative vegetation!

At the very end of the long drive we arrived to Cape Tribulation, which is of some naval significance because James Cook was triangulating from this cape, when his ship Endeavour ran aground on the Great Barrier Reef on Monday June 11, 1770. He christened this cape Tribulation because this was the start of a pack of trouble for the ship and its crew. For about a week after running aground the crew worked like fiends to first free the ship, and then to keep her from sinking as she slowly worked her way north for a few nautical miles until it found the estuary of a river he named Endeavour. Here they were finally able to lean the ship on its side to find a big, sharp piece of coral reef deeply embedded on the woodwork of the ship. Thanks to their tenacity and ingenuity, by the end of the month the damage had been repaired and the Endeavour managed to continue charting the coast to the north.

On the way back, which we did in a more sedate way, we stopped at an orchard of tropical fruits, which has made some reputation by using whatever fruits are in season to make ice cream. I got a four balls little tub of coconut sherbet, yellow sapote, and two other fruits whose Aussie name I cannot remember. Yummy!

We then went for a one-hour river cruise where we saw the mangrove, birds like a very small and very blue king fisher, and … the stars of the estuary, crocodiles! Saw a couple of baby ones, 1 to 3 years old, a young one of about 4 m (maybe 20 years old), and a monster of more than 6 m (probably 60 years old). We were all suitably impressed.

All this time we had been inside the Daintree National Park, and as the last visit we went to Mossman Gorge, which is a very scenic river valley with some nice swimming holes. Unfortunately this was the day in which a kid slipped and was carried by the current, much to the horror of his parents. Search and Rescue quickly mobilized, and the kid was found scared to death but with no serious injuries. Slippery rocks can be very dangerous.

We were back in Cairns by 6:30 pm, I did some quick shopping for salad and lamb chops, and by 7:30 pm I was having dinner. I must say that lamb is particularly good here in Australia, because they butcher the lambs young, so they don’t get that gamey taste so common on lamb from the US or New Zealand.

Tomorrow I leave Cairns to fly to Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea. I have no idea what my connectivity is going to be in PNG, so please don’t be alarmed if I am out of contact for the next two weeks. A new adventure begins!

No comments: