Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 1. Guatemala


I was boarding a plane in Sacramento, and in the blink of an eye I found myself in Guadalajara, Mexico, craving a good breakfast. After a quick assessment of my options I decided that a “Torta Ahogada” was exactly the thing. This dish, very typical of Guadalajara, consists of a “torta” (a sandwich made with a small loaf of crusty French bread, beans, and slow cooked pork) “ahogada” (drowned) in an abundant red sauce. On the side you get some pickled onions and a couple of thin, deep-fried tacos filled with refried beans. Naturally it is messy to eat, but that is half the fun.

So I ordered a torta ahogada and when the lady handed it to me she asked if I wanted some sauce. “But it is drowned in sauce!” I protested, to which she simply answered “Esa salsa no pica”. OK, I took her word for it and took an extra container of sauce. Big mistake. Never believe a Mexican who says that “la salsa no pica”. As soon as I took the first bite I felt my tongue go on fire, but sweating and sucking air I made my way to the end, enjoying every fiery morsel of my torta. Unfortunately it is also true that spicy food “pica dos veces”, for that very night I had to suffer the effects of indulging in the local cuisine.

Another blink of an eye and I was at the airport in Guatemala City. The immigration formalities were over in a second, and I breezed my way pass customs because I am travelling light, with just one medium-size backpack. Once I stepped out of customs, however, I found myself immersed in pandemonium. A big crush of families, street vendors, anxious lovers, mendicants, and taxi drivers completely blocked the exit, so the new comer is forced to elbow his/her way through. I was looking around for my friend Tom, who at 5’ 10” is a veritable giant compared with the average 5-foot Guatemalan, but he was nowhere to be seen. So I settled down for what turned out to be a 45 minute wait. Now and then my hopes would soar when a hand started waving from a tinted-windows car, but everytime I was embarrassed to find out that it was some other lucky traveler who was the object of the waving. All good things come to those who wait, however, and pretty soon I was able to embrace my old friend Tom Olson, who I had not seen for a good five years.

It took us a while to get out of the city, which has a pretty heavy traffic, but all was time well spent, exchanging news of the family and the last few years. Finally, around 3 pm, we arrived to the town of Antigua, where Tom and his wife Alma have made their home for the last 20 years. I hardly recognized the house, which has been completely reconstructed in the most delightful Colonial style. It is a modern and supercomfortable version of the houses that were built all over the city in the 17th century, which were generally built around a lovely courtyard. Alma has done a great job decorating it, and Tom has made sure it has all modern conveniences, so it is a home in the best sense of the word.

Faby first met Alma as her 3rd grade teacher, I helped with math in her classroom, and pretty soon we all became friends. Faby and their daughter Margarita soon became best friends, and Tom and I engaged on many crazy adventures together (many involving taking their young son Thomas in crazy hikes). Margarita now lives in Florida, but Thomas lives in Antigua, in a small apartment within the same house, so I also had the chance of giving him a big hug.

We had a late lunch/early dinner, after which we went for a walk to see the historic plaza and prominent municipal buildings, walked through the central park, fended off a few street vendors, and ended the walk at the restaurant of one of Tom’s friends, Juan Antonio. We were treated to cups of Guatemalan cocoa, and had an easy and very interesting conversation about the best types of coffee, the art of roasting, the effects of the recent eruption of Volcan de Fuego, and the importance of potable water to the small indigenous communities. Good man Juan Antonio.

We finished a long day by taking a “swim” in the oversized hot tub Tom brought from China. The house, being a sprawling complex, has a gym and a pool room, both enabled with enormous wide-screen TV’s, so we all caught up with the second episode of the remake of “Lost in Space”. Not bad for the first day.

No comments: