Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 7. Guatemala


Hard to believe, but today is my last day in Guatemala so it was time to get back. We started early and made a brief stop at the Biotopo del Quetzal, a biological reserve or corridor where a swath of the cloud forest has been set aside as pristine habitat for the national bird, the quetzal. It was too much to hope for a sighting of this beautiful but very shy bird, but at least I can say that we were there, paying it a visit.

I was not very good company to Tom because I fell asleep (I wonder if I have encephalitis lethargica or some other sleep sickness), and was quite surprised that we were entering Guatemala City by 10:30 am, and were at Antigua by 11 am (remember that the trip there originally took us more than 10 hours; but this time we had started closer, earlier, and had avoided road blocks). That gave us plenty of chance to relax (I think I might just take another nap) and for me to pack (I am traveling light, so packing takes me all of 5 minutes).

I will definitely miss my dear friends Alma, Tom, and Thomas. Being here this week has been like being in my own home, but in a charming foreign locale. Next time I need to bring Faby, DJ, and Ronnie with me . . . or maybe next time I will enlist Tom in some other crazy adventure . . . let me see . . . maybe a tour of Australia and Papua New Guinea? January 2020?

No comments: