Thursday, August 9, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 30. Parque Nacional Natural de Los Nevados


Man, I am still stiff, and my knees are hurting. I hope I did not do permanent damage to them in Roraima.

My friend at the parking garage has really taken me under his wing, and gave me very detailed instructions on how to get out of downtown, head back toward Bogotá for about 20 km (groan), and then take the road toward the Parque Natural Nacional Los Nevados. I got there around 11 am, went through an introductory talk, and then became the leader of a caravan of six cars to go up to the flanks of the Nevado Del Ruiz volcano. The guide provided by the park, Geraldine, rode shotgun with me, so in a way I had my very own guide. In general the volcano was covered by clouds, and it was pretty cold (I came ready for a tropical summer and do not have a jacket), but I was in my element and enjoyed the visit very much.

In 1985 Nevado Del Ruiz became the main actor on one of the worst natural disasters in recent memory (the recent eruption of Volcán de Fuego in Guatemala is a close second). Back to 1985, the volcano had a minor eruption at midnight, which caused a rock avalanche that mixed debris, snow, and stream water to form a lahar that grew as it ran down the valley to the east. After several kilometers the lahar reached the main stream, changed direction to the south, and in the early hours of the morning flooded with a thick layer the town of Armero. 25,000 people died in their sleep, and the location of the former town became a featureless plain of mud. Later analysis indicated that the town had been destroyed by lahars on two previous occasions, only to be rebuilt at the exact same spot. The catastrophe taught us much about the behavior of people that are rooted to specific locations, particularly when they need access to a reliable source of water, and about the need to do large scale planning when managing volcanic risk.

Nevado Del Ruiz is also a beautiful example of the volcanoes of the magmatic arc. The lavas and domes I saw were dacitic in composition, with comparatively few layers of andesitic scoria. The volcano is currently in yellow alert condition because fumarolic activity has been very active during the last two years; active seismic monitoring is being conducted by the Servicio Geológico Colombiano, and access to the upper reaches is being strictly limited to volcanologists.

The national park is also a crucial link in the preservation of the high Andes ecosystem, and currently they host four male and five female Andean condors that are struggling to keep the species alive. Condors hatch only one egg every other year, but only live about 8 years, so the “recharge” rate is low, particularly since condors are hunted by trophy seekers, or by farmers acting under the misconception that condors can snatch children or young cattle.

Back in Manizales I had the chance to walk in the downtown area, visit the rather lackluster cathedral, join in the Saturday stroll through the lively shopping area, and see kids having a good time playing in the plaza. I miss little Ronnie.

No comments: