Friday, August 10, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 47. The beach at Cayo Jutías


Viňales is a small town that has embraced tourism with a passion. According to my hosts, the town now counts with 1,300 guest rooms (mostly in private residences) and over 30 restaurants. The residences go out of their way to hold unto tourist CUC’s, by offering lavish breakfasts and copious dinners as added services. They also are glad to arrange transport to some of the nearby attractions, such as the beach at Cayo Jutías (65 km) or Maria la Gorda (120 km). I chose Cayo Jutías because I was assured that there was good snorkeling there (not true, I should have gone to Maria la Gorda).

At 8 am sharp a 1949 Plymouth pulled to the front of my guest house, I was ceremoniously installed in the front seat as befits my status as Don Horacio (while a French family of three was scrunched in the back), and we started in the slow but rather interesting trip to the beach. Pastor, our driver, is 56 years old and was delighted to have someone to talk to, so we talked about the history of the Cuban revolution, the hard times Cuba has gone through, and their hopes for the future. He told me that Fidel was still revered by one and all, and that the people would gladly tighten their belts when Fidel asked them to. But Raúl is not Fidel, so the winds of change are blowing. Tourism is the big industry nowadays, followed by mining, rum, cigars, and agriculture. He, for example, was for 16 years a maintenance technician for medical electronic equipment, making perhaps 500 CUP per month. Then the government released licenses for old cars to be used as taxis, so he pulled out of the garage the old 1949 Plymouth of his dad, got the taxi license, and today made 80 CUC by driving us four (2,000 CUP in one day!).

On the long way there we passed a couple of villages, and in one of them Pastor pointed out to us a two-stories green house. There is one like that in every village, and it houses the village clinic. The doctor lives on top, and the nurse lives in the ground floor, which also houses the clinic. Here, anyone can get free medical care or, for more serious conditions, a referral to the county or state hospital. Cuba is very proud of its public health system in general, and their obstetric and pediatric care in particular. Infant mortality stands at 1.5 per one thousand births, one of the lowest in the world.  

Once we got to the beach I experienced a great disappointment. It was a “perfect” beach: Flat, sandy, and without waves. Perfect for sun tanning or for babies to platch in the warm water, but with zero potential for snorkeling. Goodness, it was maybe 10 am and we were going to be there until 4 pm, so I was facing 6 hours of boredom under a relentless sun. I was a bit paranoid someone would pinch my snorkeling gear, so I left it close to a cooler and other beach paraphernalia that someone had left under a tree, and then went for a swim. After 5 minutes I had done all the swimming I was going to do, and headed for the beach, past three young couples who had tied a bottle of rum to a stick pushed into the sand, way out there in the water, and were just enjoying the baby waves. They greeted me, offered me a sip, and we stayed chatting there for a couple of hours.

Osmani and Rosana, Marcus and Jenny, and Raul and Beatriz had come from Puerto Esperanza to spend the day at the beach. Osmir, Rosana, and Jenny were teachers, celebrating this way the start of the summer vacation, and they told me all about how difficult it was to make ends meet on a teacher’s salary, which amounts to only 250 CUP per month. Marcus and Beatriz were brother and sister, and they work for their dad in the cultivation of tobacco. They seemed to do better than their teacher friends, but I do not know by how much. Marcus is a massage therapist and again seemed to be doing OK. Between sip and sip we polished two bottles of rum, talked about everything under the sun, and eventually they invited me to join them for lunch. They were the owners of the cooler I had left my things by, and in no time whatsoever I had a nice bowl of rice with beans and a leg of roasted chicken. Without noticing the time rushed by, and I was a bit sad when at 4 pm I had to say goodbye to my new friends. I hope life treats them gently.

Pastor and I had another wonderful conversation on the way back, and I further learned that the taxis have organized themselves so the guesthouses call a central point and order “one seat on a taxi for Cayo Jutías, to be picked at 8 am at the house of Anabelkis”, and then the dispatcher fills the spaces on the available taxis so everyone gets steady work. Clever Cubans, they know how to organize!

No comments: