Friday, August 10, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 49. Viňales to Cienfuegos


After another monstrous breakfast I said goodbye to my gracious host, and started on the 400 km trip to Cienfuegos. One taxi took me and three Belgians to La Habana, where we transferred to a different taxi that did the remaining 250 km to Cienfuegos. We got there around 1:30 pm, and the taxi drove me directly to my next guesthouse Casa de Momo. Momo, which is short for Jerónimo, is a friendly old man (he is 76) who runs the guesthouse together with his daughter Ileana (Casa de Momo, Calle 35 # 5806, entre 58 y 60, Cienfuegos. Tel (53) 43 51 6549, Cell +53 52 81 0055. Email Ileana77@nauta.cu Ileanagarciasaenz@yahoo.com). It is an old house, right in downtown, but it offers all comforts and extensive free advice from Momo.

Cienfuegos, La Perla del Sur, is a clean and well maintained colonial city that protrudes into the Cienfuegos Bay (which means there is water on three of the four sides of the city). It was named Cienfuegos way back then when it was established, so it doesn’t have anything to do with the guerrillero Camilo Cienfuegos.

As soon as I had my room I dumped all my stuff and took to the streets. It is easy to navigate because we are one block off the main street, which follows the length of the peninsula from north to south. It was fairly warm, soI had to dodge from shade to shade, but at least here there are palm trees in the malecón. At the end of the malecón there was a restaurant that seemed to cater to families, with small palapas to sit and enjoy the breeze. I sat in one of them and ordered a mojito, which was pretty good but came in a small plastic cup, so I had to order a second one. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to refuse a third one, because when I went to pay I found that each was 4 CUC (an abuse to the dumb tourist, because the going rate for a mojito served in a proper glass is 1.50 or 2 CUC). That is what I get for not asking for the price in advance.

After the malecón comes a long spit of sand that has been developed with very pretty small houses. It reminded me so much of Veracruz. I walked to the very end of the land, peered into the vastness of Cienfuegos Bay, and then went back to have my dinner at a parrilla restaurant, where I had a pork rib with salad, a couple of beers, and a cigar (I couldn’t come to Cuba and not smoke a cigar; it was OK, not great).

On the way back I went through the central plaza, much admiring the cathedral, the municipal palace, and dozens and dozens of well preserved old houses. Clearly the cienfueguinos are very proud of their old city.

No comments: