Thursday, August 9, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 34. Medellín


I just couldn’t. I just couldn’t stomach the idea of driving into Medellín. So after a nice breakfast in my four stars hotel I walked down a couple of blocks and took a minibus to the metro, and from there took the metro to the downtown area. A nice lady guided my steps to downtown proper, where I started by visiting the Cathedral (a monstrosity in brick if you ask me). 9 am is not the best time for tourism, but I found an open travel agent and she very kindly pointed me to the Touribus, a few blocks away. I had an hour to kill, which I used to walk through the Parque Botero. Yes, this is the same Botero as in Bogotá; the one with the fat people. True to form, throughout the park there are 14 famous statues of fat people, horses, dogs, and cats. The Medellínos love these fat statues, and appointments are often done to meet “En el Parque Botero, en la estatua de la Venus gorda”. The park merges laterally with the Paseo Carabobo, a nice pedestrian commercial street.

My Touribus arrived promptly at 10 am, and I basically spent the whole day with driver Henry and tour guide Shelly. Besides the ongoing commentary as we drove around we also made a few stops, where the bus would wait for 15 to 30 minutes, to give the tourists the chance to walk around and take photos.

Our first stop was at El Parque de Los Deseos, where the city has built a planetarium, a music center, and very cool outside acoustic shells (the type you can whisper at one of the shells and be understood 30 m away by someone in front of a second shell), a very clever and complicated sun dial, a skate park, an outdoor space with dancing fountains for the kids to play in, a giant outdoor projection screen, and all sorts of gently sloping surfaces to encourage the people to lay down, look at the stars, and dream.

Another cool stop was at El Parque de los Pies Descalzos, where visitors are invited to ditch their shoes and walk on different “textures”, like grass, sand, gravel, and water (I remember something similar in Taiwan, and can tell you that walking on gravel is painful). I later returned to this park, because it also had the Museo del Agua, which I wanted to see (but it was on the minus side of cool, so I will not torture you with its description).

Lunch was at the Cerro Nutibara, where there was a statue to Cacique Nutibara, who fought the Spanish invaders, a superb observation platform from which we had great views of the city, and the reproduction of a Pueblo Paisa. Paisa is short for Paisano, and the folks from the Department of Antioquia like to be considered Paisanos. In Mexico a paisano would be a country bumpkin, but here the Paisano is considered a tough, self-reliant, hard-working person. The Pueblo Paisa reconstructs the plaza, church, and a few homes of a pueblo that was inundated in the recent construction of a dam. Consider it mitigation of an unavoidable cultural resource.

Shelly also told us that next month they will be celebrating the Fair of the Silleteros, and that this event has been considered an intangible patrimony of humanity. Way back in time, wealthy travelers that wanted to reach Medellín were carried sitting on a chair, or silla, hefted on the back of a silletero. Eventually carriages took the people, but the silletero continued using his silla to carry merchandise from market to market. The most prominent were those who brought flowers from deep in the valleys, so to this day there is a time in August when many different community or business groups sponsor a silla de flóres to add to the color and gaiety of the fair.

Eventually I exhausted the views of the city, and to the great alarm of the people I asked walked five blocks to the metro, took a bus back to the highlands, and arrived home in good time to write this entry, have a drink, and plop in front of the TV to see an action movie. I am now reconciled with the city of Medellín.

No comments: