Thursday, August 9, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 42. Bogotá to Cancún.


I am bored. I have tried to adapt to the life of a Bogotano by going for walks through my neighborhood, which includes a couple of parks and any number of small shops. The min avenues are crazy with traffic, but between them there are blocks of quiet residences interspersed with restaurants, pharmacies, and panaderías. The latter play a crucial role in Colombian life, because here the main meal—with soup, salad, and a meat dish—is taken between noon and 2 pm. In the evening, from 6 to 9 pm, the folks here eat the merienda, which is usually composed by sweet bread and chocolate. Last night I went for my merienda to the local panadería, where I had a delicious cup of foaming chocolate accompanied by a big butterfly coated in chocolate and colored sugar chips. Yummy.

Today in the morning I went back to the panadería, at 7 am, to have a favorite Colombian breakfast: a bowl of soup (chicken or pork riblets with potatoes or yucca) and a café con leche with a brioche. I could have also ordered a tamal, but I have been overeating for two weeks and it is time to give my tummy a rest.

By the side of the panadería, was a peluquería that had been open since 6 am, where for US$ 4 I had a hair cut and a nice conversation with the barber. Colombia has elected a new president, but he has not taken office, so the talk here is about the choices made for the cabinet members.

In four more hours I will drive to the airport, return my trusty rental car with an additional 4,000 km in the odometer, and then wait until 4 pm for my flight to Cancún, where I will arrive at 7 pm. My cousin Paty and her family will pick me at the airport, take me to their home for the night, and then deliver me back at the airport at 9 am for the next stage of my trip: Cuba!

I am not sure what my access to the internet is going to be for the next couple of weeks, so I am going to bring this blog to its end. It has been a lot of fun traveling through Latin America, saying hello to my cultural brothers and sisters. I hope the tale of my travels will trigger your curiosity and that you too will feel itchy feet and come visit.

No comments: