Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 10. Cancún


I have entered a wrinkle in time, where one day looks like the other, so my muse is gone. Faced with an endless supply of food and drink my survival instincts have gone dormant, and so have the sources of inspiration for this blog.

After a morning that I cannot remember I got ready to go to town, where I was going to visit with my cousin Paty. Town is 65 kilometers from the resort, so it took me nearly an hour to get there. I was looking for the coffee house La Parroquia de Veracruz, named after the famous place in the port of Veracruz where, after the sun has set and the temperature has refreshed, the locals go to drink a lechero (very dark coffee with lots and lots of hot milk), eat a good piece of sweet bread, and chat with family and friends until 2 am. My cousin was born in Veracruz, so it is not surprising she chose this particular coffee house.

I knew that it was in Avenida Tulum, but was not quite sure where exactly. Silly me, I was looking for the white arches of the original La Parroquia and didn’t see them anywhere. So I pulled to the side and asked a lady, who looked at me with amusement and pointing right behind her told me “This is it!” I guess my good luck has not completely abandoned me.

Five minutes later Paty, her husband Pirri, and their 25-year old daughter Inés, arrived. I had not seen Paty in maybe 30 years, but we were favorite cousins and in no time whatsoever were enjoying one of those warm family conversations, reviewing the ups and downs of every family member we could remember. Paty works as a real estate agent, her husband owns a small cafeteria in one of the top gyms in Cancún, and Inés is an office manager. They are all doing well, and send greetings to all in the family.

Afterward I went to the Cancún airport, where I had to pick up our friend Christie and her daughter Marley. I had the recollection that the airport had a single terminal, so imagine my confusion when I found out that there were three different terminals! Now what? I did not have the terminal number, and didn’t know what airline they were flying, so I had to do some detective work. First I went to Terminal 4 and ascertained that all the 7 pm flights came from Mexico City. I didn’t think they would have transferred in Mexico City, so I went to Terminal 3, and found that there was a Volaris flight coming from Los Angeles, and two Delta flights coming in from Los Angeles and Phoenix. I eliminated the Mexican airline Volaris, and the Phoenix flight, and concluded that the only reasonable option was the Delta flight from LA. I was right.

Mind you, the arrivals gate in Terminal 3 is taken by taxi and shuttle services, and friends and family are not allowed to be anywhere close to the place where the passengers come out. I believe this is because the very powerful taxis union is trying to make sure that Uber or Lyft do not steal their passengers. “So how is my American friend going to know I am waiting for her here, half a kilometer from the arrivals gate”, I asked with a frustrated voice to the officious agent guarding the gate. “Oh, someone will direct them here”, he assured me. Lo and behold, clever Christie navigated her way through the gauntlet like a pro, and shortly before 8 pm we were on our way, and by 9 pm they had been reunited with husband Jarred and son Kaleb. The Slates are now a complete unit!   

No comments: