Friday, August 10, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 45. Old La Habana


My goal today is to visit the east side of Old Habana, which apparently has received most of the development money, both to protect the cultural patrimony of Cuba and to attract tourism. A big cruise ship docked today, so there are many tourists left loose through the town.

Highlights of my rambling through the town included the cathedral and its plaza, which are beautifully restored. Cubans are mostly Catholics, but communism considers all religions equally bad, so there is also a synagogue, a mosque, a Russian Orthodox church, and who knows whatever else.

After my overdose of early colonial history in Cartagena I was eager to also explore that time period in the history of La Habana. Sadly I didn’t meet with much success. There is a museum of the city, in a handsomely restored building, but it was a collection of old crockery, fancy furniture, and military paraphernalia that didn’t tell a story.

Delma had marked in my map a series of places she thought I might find interesting, which provided a basic skeleton for my walk. I saw many parks, the archaeologic excavation to expose the old city wall, music bands performing for the cruise tourists, and lots of interesting looking people. I was in a race against the oppressing heat of the early afternoon, and was doing my best to remain properly hydrated, but eventually I gave up and stopped at the iconic bar “La Floridita” for a mojito. The bar’s claim to fame is to have invented the daikiri at the behest of Hemingway, and the fame that discovery has given them was enough to justify triple the price, a packed tourist clientele, and a very nice tropical band (they even played Guantanamera, which I am sure they play at least once every hour). Unfortunately my mojito eventually came to an end and I had to once again face the brutal noon sun.

I must have done something in between, but honestly my brain was fried and I have no clear recollection of what it was. What I do remember, however, is that Delma had recommended me a restaurant right in front of the Capitolio and miraculously I found myself in front of it, right when I was ready to collapse. The restaurant is really three restaurants in three separate floors, and I chose the Asturianito in the first floor, which specializes in Spanish food (the street address is Paseo del Prado 563). It was dark and cool, there were dozens of waiters at my service, and the elegantly dressed capitán de meseros graciously suggested a cold sangria while I looked at the menu. A quick look at the prices convinced me that I had found the perfect restaurant with perfect prices, so I ordered a jar of deliciously cool sangria, a bowl of hearty fabada asturiana, and a dish of lamb in rosemary sauce that was to die for. The lamb was not the chewy mutton that you often found in restaurants, but suckling lamb that melted in your mouth; and there was a lot of it! The final tab, including a generous tip was only 25 CUC. I love it 😊

For the afternoon I continued my exploration of the old city, concentrating on the small forts that protected this side of Habana Bay. The real big fortress is on the other side of the harbor, so I took the small boat that ferries passengers to the other side, to go pay a very limited visit to the old fortress (now a military base), the Casa Blanca (but I have no idea if this is where Raúl Castro lives), and a big marble Christ that looks benevolently over the city. Goodness, it is hot here. Fortunately I came across a tiny stand that sold very cold beer and had a very welcoming shade.

I made my way back home in stages, from shade to shade, from mojito to mojito, and once I got here I drank five glasses of cold water while I chatted with Maricela, or Mari, who works here and every morning prepares me a great cup of coffee and a tasty breakfast. Nice to connect with my support group.

No comments: