Thursday, August 9, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 28. Manaus – Bogotá


7 am saw me at the Manaus airport, waiting for my flight first to La Guaira (aka Caracas Maiquetía), and from there to Bogotá. I took the opportunity to buy cachaza at the airport duty free store. Cachaza is fire water used to make delicious caipirihnas, the signature drink of Brazil.

As usual I spent all flight deep asleep, to the point I didn’t feel the plane landing, or all the people filing out of the airplane. At some point one of the stewards had to shake me vigorously and I woke to an empty airport.

I have a 6 hour layover here at La Guaira, which I used to catch up in some of my travel log (like Bilbo I am recreating the details of the trip off of memory), and spending my last 10 million Bolívares. They went toward a lunch of fried chicken (pretty tasty and with big pieces), and an afternoon coffee and an arepa filled with cheese and slowly roasted pork. The arepa is the national snack of Venezuela. It is made of arinapan, which I think is a corn flour of some sort, with the dough molded into a square about 10 cm on the side and 2 cm thick, and then cooked by frying. Once it is ready you slice it open and stuff it with cheese, pork, chicken, ham, and/or avocado, and you eat it as a torta or a hamburger.

The second leg of the trip brought me to Bogotá, where I landed around 7 pm. By the time I went through immigration and customs it was 8:30 pm, and by the time I was done with the car rental it was 10 pm. From there I had to drive to the city proper, to find my hotel (fortunately I already own this city, and was able to navigate a bee line to my new hotel, “La Manoir”, which is definitely a lot more posh than I am used to (is this Expedia’s way of rewarding me for many years of being a loyal customer?). Posh or not I had to wash some clothes, so by midnight the place looked like a refugee camp. I believe I am now almost done cleaning the mud from the Gran Sabana!

No comments: