Friday, August 10, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 50. Parque Natural El Nicho and shopping in Cienfuegos


Today I am joining an excursion to the Parque Natural El Nicho, which reportedly has some very pretty waterfalls. My ride is a 1952 Ford, which I am sharing with two Belgian girls and a couple from Basque Spain. The distance must have been about 40 km, but it took us an hour and a half to get there because we had to climb the El Escambray mountain range (maybe 500 m above the level of the surrounding plains).

As soon as we got there we were treated to another round of tourist abuse, paying 10 CUC for what the natives pay 4 CUP. Tourists pay 62.5 times more than the locals!

Money annoyance apart, El Nicho is indeed a delight. Something like Cola de Caballo in Monterrey, where the path climbs along a series of pools until it meets the main waterfall, which is gorgeous. Right at the foot of the waterfall is the Crystal Pool, where I waded in refreshingly cool water (it was morning, and high in the mountains, so the temperature was nowhere near what it is in Ciendfuegos).I took my time to look at the place, and at the end sat for about an hour in the restaurant, drinking beer and reading my book.

We were back in Cienfuegos at about 2:30 pm, and I thought this might be the place to buy a couple of guayaberas. The people here are more relaxed than in La Habana, and most look at the tourist as someone who needs care, so I felt I might get a fair price here. Asking here and there I was directed to “el Boulevard” and “la calle de los Artesanos”, where no traffic is allowed and many artisans display their wares in small street booths. I ended buying four guayaberas for a grand total of 105 CUC’s, which I felt it was a good price (and a bargain if they don’t shrink dramatically). While I was out there I also had a good lunch of fish and chips (the chips were terrible, but the fish was outstanding).

I feel the best way to spend what is left of the day will be reading in my air-conditioned room.

No comments: