Thursday, August 9, 2018

Latin America 2018 - Day 41. Puerto Boyaca to Bogotá.


Well, it was a bit of a disappointment but the trip to Bogotá was a lot easier than I had thought. I had braced myself for spending 8 hours climbing the Cordillera Este, but after just half hour I connected with a brand new six-lane highway on which I cut the distance by half. Yes, there was a bit of a tough, trafficky climb, but that was just a couple of hours, and the rest of the trip was in a four-lane highway. Thanks to the convenient grid pattern of the city I had no problem finding the Airport Travel Inn by noon.

I had lunch at a local cocina económica, the type that city workers favor for having good food, fast service, and a low price. For US$ 4 I had a bowl of soup, salad, rice, fried plantain, yucca, two delicious ox tail pieces cooked in a yellow sauce, two glasses of pineapple water, dessert, and coffee. I definitely overate but, since I have nothing else to do, I was able to get back to my comfortable hotel and take a well-deserved siesta.

The afternoon has passed slowly, separating debris from stuff I actually have to take with me for the next stage of my trip. Unfortunately I have to leave behind travel guides, a butcher’s knife, a glass, a cup, an empty bottle of Aguardiente Antioqueňo, empty bottles of water and soda, and any number of plastic bags (I love the fact that here they give you a bag to take your purchases home).

No comments: